Role of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in metastatic male breast cancer: results from a pooled analysis

Ruggero De Maria Marchiano, Daniele Sergi, Luigi Di Lauro, Laura Pizzuti, Maddalena Barba, Domenico Sergi, Isabella Sperduti, Marcella Mottolese, Carla Azzurra Amoreo, Franca Belli, Patrizia Vici, Valerie Speirs, Daniele Santini, Marcello Maugeri-Saccà

Risultato della ricerca: Contributo in rivistaArticolo in rivistapeer review

22 Citazioni (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Male breast cancer is a rare malignancy. Despite the lack of prospectively generated data from trials in either the adjuvant or metastatic setting, patients are commonly treated with hormone therapies. Much controversy exists over the use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in metastatic male breast cancer patients. We conducted this study to provide more concrete ground on the use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in this setting. Methods: We herein present results from a pooled analysis including 60 metastatic male breast cancer patients treated with either an aromatase inhibitor or cyproterone acetate as a monotherapy (23 patients) or combined with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue (37 patients). Results: Overall response rate was 43.5 % in patients treated with monotherapy and 51.3 % with combination therapy (p = 0.6). Survival outcomes favored combination therapy in terms of median progression-free survival (11.6 months versus 6 months; p = 0.05), 1-year progression-free survival rate (43.2 % versus 21.7 %; p = 0.05), median overall survival (29.7 months versus 22 months; p = 0.05), and 2-year survival rate (64.9 % versus 43.5 %; p = 0.05). Conclusions: In metastatic male breast cancer patients, the combined use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues and aromatase inhibitors or antiandrogens seems to be associated with greater efficacy, particularly in terms of survival outcomes, compared with monotherapy. Collectively, these results encourage considering these agents in the metastatic setting.
Lingua originaleEnglish
pagine (da-a)N/A-N/A
Numero di pagine5
RivistaJOURNAL OF HEMATOLOGY & ONCOLOGY
DOI
Stato di pubblicazionePubblicato - 2015

Keywords

  • Male breast cancer, Metastatic disease, Gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue, Aromatase inhibitors, Cyproterone acetate

Fingerprint Entra nei temi di ricerca di 'Role of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in metastatic male breast cancer: results from a pooled analysis'. Insieme formano una fingerprint unica.

Cita questo