Risk of seizures in children receiving busulphan-containing regimens for stem cell transplantation

Désirée Caselli, Anna Rosati, Maura Faraci, Marta Podda, Mimmo Ripaldi, Daniela Longoni, Simone Cesaro, Luca Lo Nigro, Olivia Paolicchi, Natasha Maximova, Maria Cristina Menconi, Ottavio Ziino, Maria Pia Cicalese, Stella Santarone, Francesca Nesi, Maurizio Aricò, Franco Locatelli, Arcangelo Prete

Risultato della ricerca: Contributo in rivistaArticolo in rivista


Busulphan (BU) is associated with neurotoxicity and risk of seizures. Hence, seizure prophylaxis is routinely utilized during BU administration for stem cell transplantation (SCT). We collected data on the incidence of seizures among children undergoing SCT in Italy. Fourteen pediatric transplantation centers agreed to report unselected data on children receiving BU as part of the conditioning regimen for SCT between 2005 and 2012. Data on 954 pediatric transplantation procedures were collected; of them, 66% of the patients received BU orally, and the remaining 34%, i.v. All the patients received prophylaxis of seizures, according to local protocols, consisting of different schedules and drugs. A total of 13 patients (1.3%) developed seizures; of them, 3 had a history of epilepsy (or other seizure-related pre-existing condition); 3 had documented brain lesions potentially causing seizures per se; 1 had febrile seizures, 1 severe hypo-osmolality. In the remaining 5 patients, seizures were considered not explained and, thus, potentially related to BU administration. The incidence of seizures in children receiving BU-containing regimen was very low (1.3%); furthermore, most of them had at least 1-either pre-existing or concurrent-associated risk factor for seizures. (C) 2014 American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.
Lingua originaleEnglish
pagine (da-a)282-285
Numero di pagine4
RivistaBiology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation
Stato di pubblicazionePubblicato - 2014


  • Seizures
  • Prophylaxis


Entra nei temi di ricerca di 'Risk of seizures in children receiving busulphan-containing regimens for stem cell transplantation'. Insieme formano una fingerprint unica.

Cita questo