Real-Life Experience in the Management of Sinonasal Complications of Dental Disease or Treatments

Eugenio De Corso, Mario Rigante, Dario Antonio Mele, Stefano Settimi, Daniele Penazzi, Carlo Lajolo, Massimo Cordaro, Marco Panfili, Claudio Montuori, Jacopo Galli, Gaetano Paludetti

Risultato della ricerca: Contributo in rivistaArticolo in rivista


Diagnosis and management of sinonasal complications of dental diseases or treatment (SCDDT) may be challenging. We aimed to report our real-life experience in patients treated with endoscopic endonasal approach describing data about symptoms, etiology, extension of the disease and success rate. We evaluated retrospectively data about 262 patients diagnosed as SCDDT and managed from August 2015 to May 2022. In 44.65% cases, maxillary sinus complications were determined by a dental disorder; the remaining 55.34% of cases were iatrogenic. Patients were managed according to our multidisciplinary protocol including ENT, dental, and radiological evaluation. Treatments were planned with a personalized approach, based on the patient’s clinical characteristics; all patients were treated with an endonasal endoscopic mini-invasive conservative approach. Combined dental treatment was performed simultaneously in 152/262 (58%) of patients; in the remaining cases, it was postponed after surgery. The overall treatment success rate (symptom resolution and endoscopically observed maxillary sinus healing) was 96.5%. At 15 days after surgery, we observed a significant improvement in the quality of life. The mean post-operative Sinonasal outcome test-22 (SNOT-22) score was significantly lower compared to baseline (6 versus 43.4; p < 0.05). Our study showed that endoscopic sinus surgery can be a successful procedure for treatment of SCDDT, leading to fast resolution of sinonasal symptoms and improving the quality of life. Furthermore, the technique allows removal of migrated dental material or dental implants even in challenging cases.
Lingua originaleEnglish
pagine (da-a)2078-N/A
RivistaJournal of Personalized Medicine
Stato di pubblicazionePubblicato - 2022


  • SNOT-22
  • dental implants
  • maxillary odontogenic sinusitis
  • maxillary sinusitis
  • oroantral fistula


Entra nei temi di ricerca di 'Real-Life Experience in the Management of Sinonasal Complications of Dental Disease or Treatments'. Insieme formano una fingerprint unica.

Cita questo