One-Step Nucleic Acid Amplification (OSNA): A fast molecular test based on CK19 mRNA concentration for assessment of lymph-nodes metastases in early stage endometrial cancer

Francesco Fanfani, Anna Fagotti, Giovanni Scambia, Gian Franco Zannoni, Giorgia Monterossi, Frediano Inzani, Salvatore Gueli Alletti, Camilla Nero

Risultato della ricerca: Contributo in rivistaArticolo in rivista

15 Citazioni (Scopus)

Abstract

Introduction The aim of the current study is to evaluate the detection rate of micro- and macro-metastases of the One-Step Nucleic Acid Amplification (OSNA) compared to frozen section examination and subsequent ultra-staging examination in early stage endometrial cancer (EC). Material and methods From March 2016 to June 2016, data of 40 consecutive FIGO stage I EC patients were prospectively collected in an electronic database. The sentinel lymph node mapping was performed in all patients. All mapped nodes were removed and processed. Sentinel lymph nodes were sectioned and alternate sections were respectively examined by OSNA and by frozen section analysis. After frozen section, the residual tissue from each block was processed with step-level sections (each step at 200 micron) including H&E and IHC slides. Results Sentinel lymph nodes mapping was successful in 29 patients (72.5%). In the remaining 11 patients (27.5%), a systematic pelvic lymphadenectomy was performed. OSNA assay sensitivity and specificity were 87.5% and 100% respectively. Positive and negative predictive values were 100% and 99% respectively, with a diagnostic accuracy of 99%. As far as frozen section examination and subsequent ultra-staging analysis was concerned, we reported sensitivity and specificity of 50% and 94.4% respectively; positive and negative predictive values were 14.3% and 99%, respectively, with an accuracy of 93.6%. In one patient, despite negative OSNA and frozen section analysis of the sentinel node, a macro-metastasis in 1 non-sentinel node was found. Conclusions The combination of OSNA procedure with the sentinel lymph node mapping could represent an efficient intra-operative tool for the selection of early-stage EC patients to be submitted to systematic lymphadenectomy.
Lingua originaleEnglish
pagine (da-a)1-10
Numero di pagine10
RivistaPLoS One
Volume13
DOI
Stato di pubblicazionePubblicato - 2018

Keywords

  • Agricultural and Biological Sciences (all)
  • Biochemistry, Genetics and Molecular Biology (all)

Fingerprint

Entra nei temi di ricerca di 'One-Step Nucleic Acid Amplification (OSNA): A fast molecular test based on CK19 mRNA concentration for assessment of lymph-nodes metastases in early stage endometrial cancer'. Insieme formano una fingerprint unica.

Cita questo