Efficacy of chemotherapy in metastatic male breast cancer patients: a retrospective study

Ruggero De Maria Marchiano, Daniele Sergi, Luigi Di Lauro, Laura Pizzuti, Maddalena Barba, Domenico Sergi, Isabella Sperduti, Marcella Mottolese, Pietro Del Medico, Franca Belli, Patrizia Vici, Marcello Maugeri-Saccà

Risultato della ricerca: Contributo in rivistaArticolo in rivistapeer review

11 Citazioni (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The role of chemotherapy in the treatment of metastatic male breast cancer patients remains unknown, and the only available evidence stem from small, retrospective series evaluating outdated drugs and/or regimens. Methods: In this retrospective study we evaluated the activity of polychemotherapy, consisting of three-drug (anthracycline-containing and anthracycline-free) regimens, as a first-line therapy for metastatic male breast cancer patients who had received at least one prior endocrine therapy. Results: Fifty patients treated between 1978 and 2013 were included in the present analysis. Regarding best response, we recorded 1 (2%) complete response and 27 (54%) partial responses, for an overall response rate of 56% (95% CI, 42.2-69.8). Considering stable disease, the disease control rate was 84%. Median progression-free survival was 7.2 months (95% CI, 5.9-8.5), and median overall survival was 14.2 months (95% CI, 12.2-16.2). Albeit we observed some differences for all the outcomes explored when comparing anthracycline-containing and anthracycline-free regimens, they were not statistically significant. Conclusions: Chemotherapy, consisting in both anthracycline-containing and anthracycline-free regimens, showed encouraging antitumor activity in metastatic male breast cancer patients previously treated with endocrine therapy.
Lingua originaleEnglish
pagine (da-a)N/A-N/A
Numero di pagine5
RivistaJOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL & CLINICAL CANCER RESEARCH
DOI
Stato di pubblicazionePubblicato - 2015

Keywords

  • Male breast cancer, Metastatic disease, Chemotherapy, Anthracycline-containing regimens, Anthracycline- free regimens

Fingerprint Entra nei temi di ricerca di 'Efficacy of chemotherapy in metastatic male breast cancer patients: a retrospective study'. Insieme formano una fingerprint unica.

Cita questo