A) High levels of dual resistance to clarithromycin and metronidazole and in vitro activity of levofloxacin against Helicobacter pylori isolates from patients after failure of therapy.

Risultato della ricerca: Contributo in rivistaArticolo in rivista

37 Citazioni (Scopus)

Abstract

Current treatment for Helicobacter pylori infections generally includes two or more antimicrobials (amoxicillin, clarithromycin, nitroimidazoles, tetracycline, etc.), but treatment fails in 10-20% of all cases, often because of drug resistance. Levofloxacin has been proposed as an alternative for these refractory infections. We examined 67 H. pylori isolates from patients unsuccessfully treated with amoxicillin, clarithromycin, metronidazole and levofloxacin. Minimum inhibitory concentrations determined with the epsilometer test revealed clarithromycin and metronidazole resistance in 91 and 82.1% of the isolates, respectively; 52 (77.6%) were resistant to both drugs. All 67 isolates were susceptible to amoxicillin and tetracycline. Fifty-two isolates had levofloxacin MICs of 0.01-2 mg/l; the remaining 15 (22.4%), all clarithromycin- and metronidazole-resistant, had MICs >/= 8 mg/l. Levofloxacin may be an option for refractory H. pylori infections, but the choice should be based on in vitro susceptibility data, and physicians should consider local resistance patterns when treating these infections empirically
Lingua originaleEnglish
pagine (da-a)433-438
Numero di pagine5
RivistaInternational Journal of Antimicrobial Agents
Stato di pubblicazionePubblicato - 2004

Keywords

  • clarithromycin and metronidazole

Fingerprint Entra nei temi di ricerca di 'A) High levels of dual resistance to clarithromycin and metronidazole and in vitro activity of levofloxacin against Helicobacter pylori isolates from patients after failure of therapy.'. Insieme formano una fingerprint unica.

Cita questo