[Autom. eng. transl.] In post-World War II Italy, the condition of abandoned children represented an important educational problem, as well as a social one. Due to prolonged loneliness and poor living conditions, many of these minors poured into the city streets, devoting themselves to wandering, begging or small illegal jobs. In Piacenza at the end of 1948, the Franciscan friar Gherardo Gubertini established the "Casa del Fanciullo" for them. With his work he aspired first of all to include children in society, promoting a global educational action focused on schooling and vocational training. Also investing in the families of these minors, empowered in their primary educational function, Father Gubertini distanced himself from the widespread practice of hospitalization, providing instead a semi-residential reception. The paper presents the results of an unprecedented bibliographic and archival research, which places the history of the "House of the Child" in the broadest Italian educational landscape of the time.
|Translated title of the contribution||[Autom. eng. transl.] Father Gherardo and the "Casa del Fanciullo": the education of abandoned children in Piacenza after World War II|
|Number of pages||13|
|Publication status||Published - 2020|
- Casa del Fanciullo
- Infanzia abbandonata
- padre Gubertini
- secondo dopoguerra